on Tuesday, March 7, 2023
The winter season is going, and the spring planting season is coming. Farmers prepare their equipment for Spring work by rotating equipment in their shops, replacing parts, or receiving new equipment from True North Equipment. Whether it’s incoming equipment from the factory or trade-ins, delivering equipment to customers, or scheduling logistics efficiently as possible, True North Equipment has a busy schedule in the Logistics and Transportation department. To keep everything moving smoothly, the Logistics and Transportation Department put in a lot of hours and miles to get equipment out to their customers. Truck Drivers secure and haul large equipment throughout the region, pilot cars assist in navigating wide loads safely to their destinations, and dispatch communicates with all parties to run an efficient route.
To give us some insite we asked Jay Lebacken a few questions about True North Equipment Logistics and Transportation Department
1. How often do we haul tractors or equipment to customers in a month?
We make about 30 customer pickups & deliveries per month
2. What month is the busiest month for logistics and transportation team?
Probably April or May
3. Where do we haul equipment to most often? Stores, Farms or fields?
Transfers between stores
4. How many miles do we haul in a month, on average?
25000-26000 for all trucks
5.How far have we delivered equipment to a customer?
About 275-300 one way to keep within legal daily drive time (without staying overnight)
6. Are we strictly “in-company” hauling?
Yes (we do not commercial haul for hire)
7. Have we hauled equipment that’s not John Deere?
competitive trades and items we sell
8. How many employees are in the Transportation Department (Drivers, pilots, logistics, etc,)?
14 including myself (we are looking to add a couple pilot drivers)
9. How often do pilot cars assist in a project? What equipment requires pilot car assistance?
5-6 times a month. Towing air seeders/equipment driver can not see behind and anything hauled over 15’ Wide in Minnesota and 16’ wide in North Dakota
10. Is there anything about logistics and transportation you’d like to add?
We try to keep trucks loaded going both ways as much as possible to be as efficient as possible. We have made deliveries from the Impact Center to the Roseau M.N. area, a trip ranging over 100 miles one way. We delivered a machine to one customer and picked up another from a different customer in the area for a return haul. This is possible by having one person dispatching truck requests because you can see the big picture of what we need done, and what makes us a more efficient way to save money.
If this information is something that interests you we would love to have you join the TNE team. As mention in the Q&A, We are currently hiring individuals to fill pilot car positions in the transport and logistics department. Below is the job listing discriptions and click on the image at the bottom to submit your interest in the position. We look forward to meeting you and get you started on a new career.
Pilot Car Driver
A Pilot Car Driver is responsible for escorting oversized trucks or trucks carrying large loads while on the road. A Pilot Car Driver is also responsible for ensuring the safety of the traveling public, prevention of damage to the highway system and load being transported, and the reduction of any undue delay to the normal flow of traffic.
You’ll focus on:
- Directs movement of traffic to, from and through site, using amber lights and CB callouts.
- Informs drivers of detour routes through private roadways.
- Radios other flagger or drivers at opposite end of site, giving clearance for reverse flow of traffic when appropriate.
- Warns drivers and/or laborers when approaching vehicle fails to heed signals to prevent accident and injury to workers.
- Performs traffic control and flagging activities as needed; follows safety rules and regulations on all work zone and flagging sites, including placing signs, barricades, traffic cones and other warning devices; communicates using CB radio as needed; duties may vary according to job assignment.
- Reports safety hazards and traffic problems to superior immediately.
- Maintain professional appearance and attitude.
- Provide superior customer service.
- Prepares reports and maintains records.
- Participate in all training
What we are looking for:
- Valid driver’s license
- Must have a have a safe driving record
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required
- Able and willing to follow verbal and written instructions
- Strong communication skills; must have the ability to give clear directions and instructions
- Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.
Moderate physical demands; strength sufficient to lift and move items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds; may be exposed to safety hazards and dangerous tools and equipment report job
True North Equipment is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. True North Equipment will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or status with regard to public assistance
Effective January 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires employers to conduct a pre-employment verification full query against the newly established License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse prior to beginning employment in a position that requires a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL). Candidates seeking employment in a position that requires a commercial motor vehicle license must voluntarily enter their information into the FMCSA and must provide disclosure authorization, at the time of offer, to True North Equipment or an authorized third-party agent of True North Equipment to verify information.
All full-time hires must pass a pre-employment background check and drug/alcohol screening.
- company growth
- customer education
- join our team
- now hiring
- open positions
- oversized loads
- pilot cars
- q&a tech talk
- welcome to the team